Take action on your dreams
We have all heard the saying that we need to “dream big”. Dreaming is one thing, but we need to proactive and take action on our dreams.
Our business started from small humble beginnings where we simply posted a few images of our wedding work on the internet and see where it leads. We sat back and waited. Little did we realise how quickly our work got around and we started to book weddings. It was the best feeling in the world.
As we got busy, we realised we needed a good business plan. We needed to be honest with ourselves and ask the question, “where do we see ourselves in the next 3 years”.
With that in mind, we created a balanced coverage of all the important areas in our life and set goals in the following categories (see http://www.mindtools.com). Here’s an example which you can work on:
- Career – What level do you want to reach in your career, or what do you want to achieve?
- Financial – How much do you want to earn, by what stage? How is this related to your career goals?
- Education – Is there any knowledge you want to acquire in particular? What information and skills will you need to have in order to achieve other goals?
- Family – Do you want to be a parent? If so, how are you going to be a good parent? How do you want to be seen by a partner or by members of your extended family?
- Artistic – Do you want to achieve any artistic goals?
- Attitude – Is any part of your mindset holding you back? Is there any part of the way that you behave that upsets you? (If so, set a goal to improve your behavior or find a solution to the problem.)
- Physical – Are there any athletic goals that you want to achieve, or do you want good health deep into old age? What steps are you going to take to achieve this?
- Pleasure – How do you want to enjoy yourself? (You should ensure that some of your life is for you!)
- Public Service – Do you want to make the world a better place? If so, how?
- Spiritual – Where are you at spiritual? Does God exist in your life?
Once you have refined your categories, evaluate your “Current State”. Then brainstorm the steps in reaching your “Future state” goals
Current State –> action steps –> Future State.
Try mind maps or cutting out each category and sticking them on your wall.
This annual evaluation of where we at and where we want to be has greatly helped us achieve our personal and career goals in a short space of time. It takes a lot of courage, but if you put your mind to it, all things are possible!
I challenge yourself to start early and take action on your dreams!